Sunday, December 5, 2010

The 2010 Grammy Nominations




This week the Grammy nominations were announced and as usual there were some expected nominees, some surprises, and some WTF moments? So let me do a breakdown of what I think of them.

I'm shocked that Florence and the Machine's only received a Best New Artist nomination as I think "Dog Days are Over" should be up for record of the year and at least a few others.

I love Katy Perry and think her album has some good even great songs but I think she fits better in Record of the Year as opposed to Album of the year.

I LOVE that "F*** You" is nominated for so many awards and bet that 20 second delay is going to be in use big time that night.

I don't understand how Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" one of the best songs of the year didn't even merit a Record of the Year or Song of the Year nominations.

I'm so happy that Miranda Lambert's "The House that Built Me" is up for song of the year.

Last year Beyonce won Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for "Halo" and this year she's nominated again for "Halo" from her live disc. They couldn't go with Pink's "Please Don't Leave Me" or Leona Lewis "Happy" instead.

Train had a huge hit with "Hey, Soul Sister" but their only nomination came from some live performance they did of the song.

Susan Boyle was left off the Best new artist but received a nomination for Best Pop Vocal Album.

I was surprised that Clay Aiken was left out of the Best Traditional Pop Vocal category but figured they had to include Michael Buble, Barry Manilow, and Rod Stewart who have staked claim forever in this one. I still hope for a Barbra win because of them I think her's was the best.

I'm thrilled for Fantasia for R&B Female and think this is the year she might win but surprised that no Alicia Keys, Kelly Rowland, Brandy, or Kelis could make the cut.

No Jason DeRulo for R&B Male vocalist?

Sade only got two nominations when everyone has been talking about them this season.

"Airplanes" one of the biggest hits of the year didn't get a Best Rap/Sung Collaboration Nomination.

As happy I am for Carrie Underwood none of her nominations came from "Cowboy Casanova" or "Undown It" almost like none of Miranda Lamberts came from her exceptional song "Dead Flowers."

The biggest hit of the season "Glee" only received two nominations.

I'm thrilled that Bettye LaVette who is AMAZING was nominated for Best Contemporary Blues Album for her "Interpretations: The British Rock Songbook" but surprised that there weren't more nominations for this woman.

I was shocked that Kesha regardless is you love or hate her was shut out though her producer Dr. Luke received multiple nominations on her behalf,

Also I must say that I'm truly sad that the Grammy's ignored Katharine McPhee, We Are the Fallen, Kris Allen Allison Iraheta, or Hurt were all passed over nominations I felt they deserved.

No comments: